Committee seeks environmentalists for project proposals to use new student fees

By Ebonique Wool

Environmental activists and pacifists alike are invited to contribute their ideas to save energy and increase environmental consciousness on campus to the student sustainability committee now through Oct. 14. The projects chosen will be funded by this year’s $2 Clean Energy Fee and $5 Sustainability Fee.

“It’s great that students can come up with these ideas and really change the campus,” said Stephanie Bogle, chair of the committee and graduate student.

Appointed from a pool of applicants, the committee is made up of 10 students, four faculty members and three staff members. This group will decide which proposals are feasible with the resources the University has and set the plan in motion. The plan must also be approved by the Facilities and Services department to ensure the projects will not violate building codes.

The committee handles the fees, which total about $560,000 a year.

The $2 fee is mandatory and accounts for $160,000 a year, while the refundable $5 fee brings in $400,000.

The fee has gained considerable student support, including high voter turnout during student elections and positive response.

“The $2 fee had the second highest voter turnout of any school election, and it was voted ‘yes’ on a 4-1 margin, about 7,000 people in favor of the fee,” said Thomas Cafcas, committee member and graduate student.

Though some of the projects may require more money than the yearly $560,000, Bogle said she believes students have given their fair share.

“It’s a sufficient amount to expect the students to contribute,” Bogle said, “The initiative should come from the University, as well.”

Some of the projects that the committee have approved in previous years are: funding for an energy audit and lighting retrofit of the Union, funding for a “green roof” and solar panels for the new Business Instructional Facility, funding for a project by a UIUC Biodiesel Initiative group and wind turbines on the South Farms.

The wind turbines have been the most expensive project, costing more than $5 million. The project was begun with $300,000 from the student fee. A $2 million grant from the Illinois Clean Energy Foundation and a $3 million addition by the University made up the majority of the funding.

“When the University looked into the returns on having the wind turbines, it really made a lot of sense to put their money into it,” Cafcas said. “We planted a seed with the students’ funds, and the University followed up on it.”

When the turbines are installed, they will function as an additional energy source for the campus.

“Three 1.5 megawatt turbines would provide 2.7 percent of the energy for the campus,” said Shreyas Sundaram, committee member and Ph.D. student at the University.

The student-submitted project from the biodiesel initiative group will be working to convert waste oil from school cafeterias into fuel using a reactor designed by students.

Cafcas said he is glad students have shown support for making the campus more sustainable and feels the initiative is long overdue.

“If we’re supposed to be the best engineering school and the best campus, we need to stay competitive,” Cafcas said.