Diabetes afflicting Native Americans

Debbie Reese (Nambe Pueblo), Durango Mendoza (Muscogee (Creek)), Tol Foster (Muscogee (Creek)), LeAnne Howe (Choctau), and Jodi Byrd (Chickasaw) celebrate culture at the Native American House on Monday. PHOTO BY ALLISON BULOW

By Andrea Cheng

In the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians of North Carolina, 40 percent of the population suffers from diabetes, said LeAnne Howe, screenwriter and narrator of the PBS documentary, “Spiral of Fire.” Diabetes is a problem affecting Native American tribes across the nation. This year, the Native American House, located at 1204 W. Nevada St., plans to raise awareness of health and well-being among Native American students.

The Native American House is affiliated with the American Indian Studies program, offering students a social and academic environment, said Howe, interim director of the cultural center. While American Indian Studies is an academic curriculum program, the house provides a support system for students to collaborate in dealing with a variety of issues, including diabetes, Howe added.

“This is an epidemic. We want to raise the awareness of diabetes, obesity, as well as a couple of issues that are plaguing the Native American community,” Howe said. “This is a real time, real issue that confronts and confounds our community. We need to be vigilant and healthy.”

Health is a common issue for all people, but many indigenous people are predisposed to diabetes, said Lara Mann, graduate student.

“As far as health goes, we’re trying to educate people who frequent the house,” Mann said.

A series of programs has been developed to educate individuals on the alarming rates of people with health concerns – primarily diabetes – as well as alerting students on the importance of maintaining a healthy lifestyle, Howe said.

The house helps establish a sense of belonging on campus, as many Native Americans are still community-oriented today. Resources available to students at the house include computer labs, peer counseling and student social spaces, said Julia Martin, graduate student.

Because the number of Native American students is small compared to other minority student populations on campus, a continuous goal for the house’s staff is to recruit more Native American students and to encourage more to become involved, Martin said.

“It’s an extended family for me,” Martin said. “There are not a lot of us on campus, but it’s nice to have someone to identify with.”