Local water main repairs to cut off local businesses

By Kathleen Foody

Eleven Campustown addresses will be without water for several hours Tuesday morning while a broken water main is repaired on Green Street between Fifth and Sixth streets.

At 7:30 a.m., Illinois American Water workers will shut off water to 505, 506, 508, 509, 510, 512, 518, 519 and 522 E. Green St. and 701 and 703 S. Sixth St., a company operator said Monday evening.

The affected addresses include Legends restaurant, 522 E. Green St., and Hairbenders salon, 703 S. Sixth St.

The water will be turned back on around 11 a.m. if the work goes smoothly, but residents will need to boil any water they use for 36 hours after its completion, the operator said.

Lisa Reisen, communications and corporate responsibility manager for Illinois American, said the company polled the customers before setting a time for the planned maintenance. The time agreed on caused the least inconvenience to the tenants of the apartments and businesses affected, she said.

Reisen said she could not be sure whether the work was needed as a result of damage caused by a construction crew working on a seven-story building at 507 E. Green St., the future home of Urban Outfitters clothing store, on Sept. 25.

Workers struck a private, four-inch water main that afternoon, partially flooding the eastbound lane of Green Street until Illinois American workers pumped the water from the area.

Ryan Davis contributed to this report.