Urbana wants revisions to demolition delay proposal

By Pamela Nisivaco

The Urbana planning department presented an ordinance to the Urbana City Council on Monday night that proposed a delay period before demolition permits could be approved to allow for examination of buildings’ historic values.

The Council was not satisfied with the proposed ordinance and asked the planning department to return at the Nov. 5 meeting with a revised ordinance based on the Council’s recommendations.

“I have concerns about this and I think it’s too broad as it’s written,” Lynne Barnes, Ward 7, said about the ordinance.

There are some people doing new things in Urbana and delaying their plans could become expensive, Barnes said. She thinks the ordinance as proposed Monday night would produce a chilling effect.

The motion includes a Council suggestion that East Urbana and the Mixed Office Residential area of Urbana be considered for addition to the revised ordinance once neighborhood surveys have been completed in these areas.

Urbana resident Ilona Matkovszki said she is overjoyed the city is finally having discussions around demolition delay, but she is concerned about East Urbana’s exclusion from the ordinance. It is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Urbana and should be included, she said.

“My hope is to construct demolition delay that will truly be useful and helpful to our historic buildings,” Matkovszki said.

Before taking final action on demolition delay, Robert Myers, planning manager for Urbana, said the city staff has advised the Council to hold a public hearing because this ordinance is so similar to zoning action.

“We’re trying to limit demolition delay to properties where there is significant historical appeal,” Myers said.