Odds and ends: Postcard sent from WWII delivered 64 years later

By The Associated Press

TOKYO – A postcard that a Japanese soldier mailed from a Southeast Asian battlefront during World War II has reached a recipient in Japan 64 years later, a university whose student helped deliver it said Saturday.

Shizuo Nagano, an 80-year-old retiree in Japan’s southwestern state of Kochi, received the card Friday – by way of Nagasaki, Arizona and Hawaii – said a statement from Mukogawa Women’s University.

Nagano’s former colleague at a retail store, Nobuchika Yamashita mailed the card in 1943 from Burma, now called Myanmar, a year before Yamashita died at war at age 23, the university statement said.

It said the card had initially failed to reach Nagano’s address in Nagasaki, and was instead collected there by an American soldier during the U.S. occupation.

The American kept it at his Arizona home until he died 25 years ago and was kept by his son – who moved to the Hawaiian island of Maui and then gave the letter to a Japanese exchange student he met through his wife.

“I never would have guessed I could see (Yamashita) again this way … I’m overwhelmed,” Nagano said.

Mother arrested for DUI after son calls 911 on her

VANCOUVER, Wash. – An 8-year-old boy riding in a car with his mom called 911 several times to report that she wasn’t “acting normal,” leading to her arrest for investigation of drunken driving and other charges, authorities said.

Paulette Lynn Spears, 33, was arrested Saturday after she drove to a fire station and said she had a medical problem.

Guided by her son’s description of what he could see from the car, as well as by global positioning technology to track the phone calls, deputies arrived at the station less than a minute later.

Records show she has at least one conviction for drunken driving.

From Associated Press reports