MTD considers extending routes to Savoy

By Izabela Miltko

Transportation to and from Savoy may soon get a little easier.

The village is currently debating the addition of a new bus route along Route 45. Savoy Village President Robert C. McCleary, said the annexation of a new route has been debated for two years.

var UniqueNameFO = { movie:”https://www.dailyillini.com/media/paper736/interactive/ar12dpka.swf”, width:”200″, height:”295″, majorversion:”8″, build:”0″, xi:”true” };

UFO.create(UniqueNameFO, “di_inline_flash”);

Get macromedia Flash Player

“Mass Transit District has supplied service to about a third to a half of the community and some business developers have asked to see if Mass Transit could be brought in to other parts.”

None of the village’s current routes will be affected. Chairman of the Mass Transit District Al Anderson said what will change is that the routes will pass by new developments.

“We will not annex any of the current, call it housing partial, for the next 25 years, but we will have the option on annexing newly built housing and newly built apartments,” Anderson said.

MTD Managing Director Bill Volk said buses will be spending the same amount of time in Savoy routes, but the time will be used more efficiently.

He also said the new transportation will be traveling in loops every hour. He said that various groups of Savoy citizens will benefit.

“Senior Citizens of housing on Curtis Road to be able to get back and forth to Wal-Mart,” Volk said.

The Village of Savoy will be discussing this issue today. They’re hoping to get a final decision by December.