UI ranked fourth in international students

By Megan Kelly

By Megan Kelly

Staff Writer

When Ke-li Cheng entered the University last year, she hoped to enjoy studying abroad but also did not know what to expect.

Cheng, a sophomore in Business from Taiwan, said she hasn’t had any bad experiences so far and likes the resources the University offers.

Cheng is among an increasing amount of foreign students choosing to attend colleges and universities in the United States.

The number of international students enrolled in American colleges increased by 3.2 percent last fall, according to a report released by the Institute of International Education.

The report listed 5,685 international students who entered the University of Illinois last fall, roughly a 16 percent increase from 2005-06. It also ranked the University with the fourth largest international student enrollment among U.S. colleges.

Martin McFarlane, assistant director of the International Student and Scholar Services office, said the University attracts students from abroad because of its already large international population and programs.

“Our engineering and business colleges are highly ranked nationally,” McFarlane said. “Many of our international students are interested in these concentrations.”

McFarlane added that students are attracted to the University’s central geographic location.

“Many students want access to a lot of the country,” he said. “Since we’re between three major cities – Chicago, St. Louis and Indianapolis – we’re in an ideal location.”

According to the report, 582,984 foreign students attended colleges and universities in the United States last year, which is an increase of 18,218 students from 2005.

Shannon Bishop, public affairs representative for the institute, said a larger number of foreign students are studying in the United States because colleges have increased their recruiting efforts, and the government has altered the visa-application process.

“After 9/11 the State Department tightened up visa policy, but they have since been working hard to make the process smoother,” Bishop said. “Exchange visas have risen 10.2 percent.”

Bishop added that European students have an additional incentive to study in the United States because the euro is very strong.

McFarlane believes that most international students studying at the University are satisfied with their experience.

“The vast majority are from East Asia, so they’re making a huge cultural jump,” McFarlane said. “With a small exception, all seem to adjust and do very well here.”

Cheng said she has adjusted well and has found the University’s resources to be helpful for international students.

“The classes and career services here have prepared me well,” Cheng said. “They have many cool programs including externships and learning how to write resumes.”

Bishop believes the increase in international students on campuses will benefit American students as well.

“For U.S. students who are unable to travel abroad, having international students in the classroom opens up their cultural understanding and makes them aware of a different perspective,” Bishop said.