Missing marine’s remains found; Laurean to blame

By Mike Baker

JACKSONVILLE, N.C. – A 20-year-old pregnant Marine who disappeared in December told victims’ advocates at Camp Lejeune that she didn’t feel unsafe in the presence of the colleague now wanted in her death, Marine Corps officials said Tuesday.

Marine Cpl. Cesar Armando Laurean never violated the military protective order directing him to stay away from Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach, and he continued to report for work on time in the weeks after her disappearance, denied having any kind of sexual contact with her colleague, said Col. Gary Sokoloski, the judge advocate general officer for the II Marine Expeditionary Force.

“At no time did she indicate that she was threatened by Cpl. Laurean,” Sokoloski said. “When she was asked if she felt threatened by Cpl. Laurean, she said she did not feel threatened.”

Authorities confirmed Tuesday that remains found over weekend in a fire pit in Laurean’s backyard were those of Lauterbach and her child. Dr. Charles Garrett, the Onslow County medical examiner, said Lauterbach, who was eight months pregnant when she vanished, died of “traumatic head injury due to blunt force trauma.”

The autopsy did not answer all the questions about the circumstances of Lauterbach’s death, said county prosecutor Dewey Hudson. Detectives are still unsure whether she gave birth before her death, he said.

Authorities believe Laurean fled Jacksonville, N.C., early Friday after leaving a note in which he admitted burying Lauterbach’s body. But Tuesday, they said he is believed to be hiding and no longer needs to travel quickly or far to avoid capture.

“We believe it’s certainly possible, based on him being out there for this long, and not having any sightings, that he is getting help,” said Onslow County Sheriff’s Capt. Rick Sutherland. “We think we have a handle on all his contacts, but there could be someone else out there helping.”

Authorities believe Lauterbach was slain around Dec. 15. Officials have offered a $25,000 reward for information leading to Laurean’s arrest and have posted or plan to post billboards with his picture in cities nationwide.