Youths expected to turn out for election

By Obaid Sarvana

Tuesday, students on campus will be able to cast their vote for their favorite presidential candidate. “Super Tuesday,” as it has come to be called, marks the date on which many states hold their primary elections. Interest is running high among students.

“It seems like magic is in the air,” said Frank Calabrese, junior in LAS and self-described Republican. “In Iowa there were just as many voters under 30 as there were under 65.”

Calabrese said the phenomenon of youth participation arose from the rhetoric of change surrounding the election. He also said young people are rallying because “they are not satisfied with the current administration and want to participate to create substantial change.”

“More than anything it’s two things,” said Michael Krassa, associate professor of political science. “One, that it’s so wide open. It’s been a long time since we’ve had a presidential primary in which we didn’t know who was the front-runner, and also I think a lot of candidates speak to young people.”

He said that this election is also unique in that there is a chance for both parties to be deadlocked. Krassa added that most students had already committed to a single candidate without considering major issues regarding the election.

“Most students now are concerned with whether their ‘guy’ has a chance,” he said.

Devin Mapes, freshman in LAS and member of College Democrats, agreed.

“Most students have already selected their favorite supporter because of family, or media pressures,” Mapes said.

Mapes added that he believed this election is extremely significant because there is such a need for change.

“Most students don’t like the way things are going under the current president, and they don’t think change is happening in the things they care about,” he said.

Calabrese also had a similar sentiment,

“This election represents a clean break from the previous administration. Since 1968 we haven’t had an election where the incumbent was so removed from the election,” Calabrese said. “I’m a history major and I’ve studied elections; this one breaks from the path.”