Hand gels prove to be potentially dangerous

By Robert Beck

Antibacterial hand gels may cost you your life. In a recent development, the hand sanitizer is being for more than just cleaning your hands.

The alcohol content in the common antibacterial product is more than your normal whiskey. It registers at 124 on the potency scale and can be lethal if ingested.

Some students like sophomore Alexis Sage are just learning about this. She thinks something should be done.

var UniqueNameFO = { movie:”https://www.dailyillini.com/media/paper736/interactive/zm3e1ozc.swf”, width:”200″, height:”205″, majorversion:”8″, build:”0″, xi:”true” };

UFO.create(UniqueNameFO, “di_inline_flash”);

Get macromedia Flash Player

“Theres a lot of cleaning products out there that can be very dangerous if consumed so I guess you just have to be extra careful,” Sage said. “I guess maybe they should advertise more so people will be more aware.”

Many doctors studying this phenomenon have discovered that often incidents dealing with children are accidental, but intentional among adults. According to ABC News some prisons have had to ban the use of antibacterial hand gels because inmates were using it to get intoxicated.

Sophomore Mary Conner thinks this is absurd.

“It’s really sad because stuff like hand sanitizer is a convience and not a neccessity,” Conner said. “I never knew that they were a danger.”

Small children’s use of hand gels should be monitored by an adult. If consumed it could result in death. It can also cause severe alcohol poisoning and further complications.