Odds and ends: Firefighters slice appliance open to release stuck child

DOVER, Ohio – Talk about an oversized load: A 4-year-old boy got stuck when he climbed into his family’s top-loading washing machine, and firefighters had to use a metal cutter to slice into the appliance to get him out.

Donovan Hasseman, who wasn’t hurt, was wedged up against the agitator with a knee folded against his chest, while the machine was empty and not running Sunday night, Dover Fire Capt. Mike Mossor said.

Firefighters responding to a 911 call from the boy’s mother tried to help him wriggle out, but he couldn’t move, Mossor said. The owner of an appliance store was then called in for advice on how to take the washer apart.

The fire department wound up using its hydraulic “jaws-of-life” tool normally used to remove crash victims from wrecked vehicles to cut through the machine’s walls and plastic tub. The child cried and screamed at times while stuck but was calm once he was freed, Mossor said.

A hospital looked him over then released him, and he was given a stuffed bear which the family has named Agitator.

Men accused of burning nursery rhyme’s birthplace

WORCESTER, Mass. – Two men are accused of burning down the birthplace of the woman made famous by the nursery rhyme “Mary Had a Little Lamb.”

John Rousseau and Michael Dreslinski, who also face charges in a series of fires in central and western Massachusetts, have been held without bail since August.

They are scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday in connection with the Aug. 12 fire that destroyed a vacant house in Sterling where town officials say Mary Elizabeth Sawyer was born in 1806.

Sarah Josepha Hale reportedly published a poem in 1830 about Sawyer, as a child, bringing her lamb to school with her. Other accounts, however, claim the original writer was a young man who was inspired by the incident.

Rousseau and Dreslinski were arrested in August on arson charges in a vacant warehouse fire that destroyed part of a paper mill. They are also charged in a fire that damagThe men, both of Clinton, pleaded innocent at their earlier arraignment in the mill fire. They were arrested on those charges following an investigation that involved police tracking the men through a global positioning system installed in Dreslinski’s truck under an unrelated court order.