Student Senate looks at anti-abortion resolution

By Michael Logli

The Illinois Student Senate discussed a resolution on Wednesday night that asks the senate to support the Illini Collegians for Life, an anti-abortion student group on campus, in their efforts to organize a bipartisan project that would help pregnant college students.

The resolution will be voted on next week.

According to the resolution, the project would involve collecting and releasing information about college parents, as well as help with academic affairs, housing and finances.

The project would also work to create an open forum regarding pregnancy among college students.

“Right now there is no one place to go to find out what to do about academic issues,” said Katie Dunne, junior in LAS and vice president internal of the senate. “It’s an incredibly polarizing issue but we’re trying to get some common ground and do something positive with it.”

The resolution says it will involve anti-abortion and abortion rights support in an effort to bridge the divide between the two groups, but the resolution does not mention that a specific anti-abortion group is involved, which made some senators cautious.

“I would be wary of voting on this kind of resolution without both sides on the bill,” said Steve Benario, senior in Engineering and student senator.