County to vote on seniors’ facility

By Melissa Silverberg

The Champaign County Environment and Land Use Committee voted Monday on a proposal for a $900,000 loan to Bridle Brook Adult Communities in Mahomet for expansion of its assisted living services.

With one dissenting vote, the proposal will come before the Champaign County Board next week.

Bridle Brook Adult Communities is dedicated to quality senior living, said Kim Barker, executive director of the center. Bridle Brook is an independent living community that offers residents living in its villas amenities including lawn care, house cleaning and snow shoveling.

The proposal and loan aim to add an assisted living facility to Bridle Brook. The new facility will offer 24-hour personal care and 78 apartments for residents, Barker said. This assisted living facility would benefit people who are still independent enough to not need a traditional nursing home but may need a nursing professional for medical needs or exercises, said Barbara Wysocki, chair of the Champaign County Environment and Land Use Committee.

Barker said the goal is to start construction in a few weeks when the weather warms up and complete the project by Nov. 1.

“This is a large development,” said founder and CEO of Bridle Brook Joyce Lindley. “It will cost about $12 million but we have funding coming from farm credit services and other equity as well.”

While the amount of money asked for from the committee is high compared to other grants that have been approved, Wysocki said there are many benefits to the plan.

“It’s on a major highway and near two pharmacies,” Wysocki said. “It is a very ideal situation. I doubt they will be denied.”

One committee member, Ralph Langenheim, chose, however, to vote against the proposal Monday.

“The funds in that loan circle are supposed to be for small businesses in small, rural towns,” Langenheim said. “It is also to promote the continued existence of small communities, but Mahomet is part of the urban sprawl.”

Without his dissenting vote, Lagenheim said the matter would have been put on the county’s consent agenda and not really discussed. Now the matter will come before a general meeting next Thursday for discussion and a further vote, one in which Lagenheim says he may ask for a roll call to have people on record of who voted for or against the proposal.

“It’s a lot of money for something that arguably does not fit the purpose,” he said.