Odds and Ends: Dutch women sprint for $15,000 in stiletto heels

By The Associated Press

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands – Like a herd of antelope, jockeying and shoving for position, 150 young women raced down Amsterdam’s most famed fashion street in stiletto heels Thursday, racing for a $15,000 prize.

The race on the P.C. Hooft street called the “Stiletto Run” is only three years old but has quickly grown in popularity and spawned imitation races in Germany, Sweden, Poland and Russia.

The race’s motto is “Shopping is a Sport” and friendly competition is encouraged – though not always observed.

“At the start there was a lot of pushing, you really get elbowed over,” said Fauve Stukje, 18, who came with a small entourage and a big pink sign – but failed to win, show or place.

Tamara Ruben, 25, from the town of Veenendaal, claimed first prize in the 380-yard race, running so smoothly you might think she was wearing sneakers.

Asked how she would spend the money, she said: “Anything but high heels.”

NYC pub owner bans ‘Danny Boy’ for month of March

NEW YORK – It’s depressing, it’s not usually sung in Ireland for St. Patrick’s Day, and its lyrics were written by an Englishman who never set foot on Irish soil.

Those are only some of the reasons why a Manhattan pub owner is banning the song “Danny Boy” for the entire month of March.

“It’s overplayed, it’s been ranked among the 25 most depressing songs of all time and it’s more appropriate for a funeral than for a St. Patrick’s Day celebration,” said Shaun Clancy, who owns Foley’s Pub and Restaurant, across the street from the Empire State Building.

The 38-year-old Clancy, who started bartending at his father’s pub in County Cavan, Ireland, promised a free Guinness to patrons who sing any other traditional Irish song at the pub’s pre-St. Patrick’s Day karaoke party on Tuesday.