Odds and Ends: Speeding driver blames Oreo for losing control of his car

By The Associated Press

SALISBURY, Conn. – Police say a man’s excuse for speeding through a Connecticut town takes the cake – or the cookie.

A state trooper who stopped the 1993 BMW says its driver, 28-year-old Justin Vonkummer of Millerton, N.Y., blamed his driving problems on an Oreo.

Vonkummer told the trooper that an Oreo had slipped from his fingers and that he was trying to fish it out when he lost control.

Prosecutors learned in court this week that Vonkummer had been charged with speeding and driving under a suspended license.The case is pending.

Hospital’s rules for visitation ruins man’s good intentions

LIHUE, Hawaii – A man hoping to cheer up arelative at Wilcox Memorial Hospital hadn’t considered one of the visitation rules: No horses allowed.

The man thought the patient would enjoy seeing his stallion, said Lani Yukimura, a spokeswoman at the hospital. He and the horse entered the hospital and rode an elevator up to the third floor, where they were stopped by security personnel.

The hospital has a pet visitation policy, but it’s for dogs and cats, not horses.

“On Kauai, we have a very warm inviting atmosphere at Wilcox,” Yukimura said. “We just hope people understand this is not a place for a horse.”

Cat lost last year in Colorado is found in northern Illinois

ROCKFORD, Ill. – One year and hundreds of miles later, Precious the cat is safe at home.

Precious was turned in to the Winnebago County Animal Services in Rockford this week, and when workers scanned a microchip under her skin, they discovered she’d been adopted in Colorado.

Ben Drotar of the Table Mountain Animal Shelter in Golden, Colorado, says Precious disappeared from Denver last year. Virginia Wheeler and Precious were reunited in Denver Friday night.

It isn’t clear how Precious made the trek from Colorado to Rockford.