UI student takes time off to raise new baby

Deanna Moreno and Dennis Hernandez hold their child, Sofia. Photo courtesy of Deanna Moreno

By Quentin Capista

She was on the way to her doctor’s appointment. Today had been a day that she had been thinking about, a day she had been stressing over so much in the previous days.

In the car on the way to her doctor’s office, she broke down and cried.

“I broke down and said ‘I couldn’t do it,'” said Deanna Moreno, sophomore in Communications, and she went home instead.

She chose not to have an abortion.

Deanna has taken this semester off to be at home for the birth of her child, Sofia Isabel, who was born on Jan. 22. However, she has also been attending Morton Community College in Cicero, Ill., to stay on track with graduating from the University in 2010.

She plans to come back and complete her bachelor’s degree.

Maria Moreno, Deanna’s mother, talks about her daughter’s initiative and determination.

“One thing that I have noticed, now that she has a child, is that she is very independent and has been able to carry the accomplishment of raising (Sofia) and being able to balance school,” Maria Moreno said.

Between having a baby, going to school and planning to go back to work, Maria Moreno added, Deanna is making it all work, with the support of her family and her boyfriend, Dennis Hernandez.

“I was really concerned at the very beginning, but right now I am so proud of her. She has been able to adapt and take care of her child very well,” Maria Moreno said.

Deanna had never had the thought of being a mother before she became pregnant.

“When I found out I was pregnant, I didn’t know what I wanted to do. I felt I was too young and that I could not provide the best life for her,” Deanna said. “I know it sounds a bit selfish, but I thought a lot about myself. And I want to finish school.”

Hernandez has been supportive throughout.

Even with the stress that comes with being a young parent, Hernandez has been trying to “comfort her and being there and supporting her with whatever she wanted and whatever she needed,” he said.

Although when they found out about Deanna’s pregnancy, things became difficult between the two.

“It settled down between both of us with arguing and (we) decided to move forward from the bad stuff and carry on and see how we were going to provide for our child,” said Hernandez.

Deanna plans on returning to the University for the fall semester and getting an apartment with Hernandez, who is looking forward to enrolling at Parkland College and getting a job down in the Champaign-Urbana area.

With the upcoming semester, Deanna hopes to keep her grades and maintain her GPA while being a good mother. If she remains consistent, she expects to graduate on time.

This positive attitude is evident throughout her family, though Deanna may still be a little worried about it all.

“I think I can make it, (although) a lot of people have doubted me,” she said.

In spite of the odds and statistics stacked against her, people around Deanna remain supportive.

Francisco Moreno, Deanna’s father, dreams of seeing all his children graduate from college.

“I think she is going to make it,” said Francisco Moreno. “She is going to make it.”