UI associate dean passes away

Photo courtesy of the University of Illinois

By Sarah Small

Associate Dean of Students Cathy Acevedo’s death was confirmed yesterday afternoon by Renee Romano, vice chancellor for student affairs.

The cause and time of death have not yet been released, Romano said.

According to a memo from the Office of the Dean of Students, Acevedo was born in 1959.

Prior to her position in the Office of the Dean of Students, Acevedo worked in the Counseling Center, where she provided outreach programs to students of color, according to the memo. She was also the therapeutic services coordinator and interim director of the Program on Intergroup Relations.

Acevedo was awarded the 2002-2003 Student Affairs Outstanding Staff Award for her dedication to her work in the Counseling Center, according to the memo.

Acevedo was also active in the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender community.

“She was an ally for the LGBT community and worked tirelessly for students in every way you could imagine,” said Curt McKay, dean of students for the Office of LGBT Resources.

She was involved in planning the upcoming “Race Diversity and Campus Climate at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign” conference scheduled for Thursday, said Chime Asonye, student trustee.

She served as a committee chair for the Latino Family Day on campus, which she also helped create and organize.

She graduated from University of California at Los Angeles with a bachelor’s magna cum laude in psychology, as well as a master’s degree in psychology.

She is survived by her husband, Philip Garnier, her son, Christian, her parents, three sisters and relatives in California.

“She brought great warmth and political savvy and willingness to speak her mind,” said McKay. “Students will miss her, and all the faculty will miss her.”

Melissa Silverberg contributed to this report