Police continue to investigate fatal car accident

By Pamela Nisivaco

After hitting several trees at a high rate of speed around 10:30 p.m. Thursday, William Brown, 28, of Springfield, Ill., was pronounced dead at Carle Foundation Hospital about a half-hour later. There were two other passengers injured in the crash, one in “serious” condition, according to a press release from the Champaign Police Department.

Brown reportedly fled the scene after being stopped by a police officer at the 300 block of South Neil Street for driving without headlights.

While the police officer was verifying the driver’s identity and preparing to conduct a field sobriety test, Brown sped off at a high rate of speed with three other passengers, according to the press release. The officer lost sight of the vehicle after following it at a low rate of speed, and soon after a crash was reported at the 800 block of West White Street.

Brown and two other passengers received immediate medical assistance and were transported to the hospital. The third passenger’s whereabouts are unknown at this time.

The passenger in question left the vehicle and could not be found by police or an IDOT helicopter and, according to the press release, it is unknown if the passenger suffered any injuries. The passenger is not considered a suspect of any crime at this time.

Stephanie Gomes contributed to this report