Extension Partners receives unexpeced budget cut for state

By Melissa Silverberg

After a recent announcement of possible funding and job cuts in the University Extension office, members of the Extension Partners group will travel to Springfield on Wednesday to speak with the General Assembly about the consequences of these budget cuts.

Extension Partners is an organization that works to further the advancement of the University Extension program.

The Extension program has offices in nearly every county in the state and provides programs and educational opportunities to Illinois residents in agriculture, community development, horticulture, nutrition and much more.

“We are disappointed. The money had been allocated in the state budget for this fiscal year, and its now three-fourths of the way through the year and we learn the money won’t be there,” said Gary Beaumont, Extension communications specialist. “This will have a significant impact.”

Constituents and participants in the Extension program, who are also members of the Extension Partners group, will be traveling to the state capitol Wednesday to express their concerns to a joint session of the House and Senate Agriculture Committee because the necessary funding comes from the Illinois Department of Agriculture, said Jeanne Harland, legislative chair for Extension Partners.

“We were devastated, just really in a state of disbelief,” said Harland. “We really thought the money was there.”

A spokesperson for the governor’s office was not immediately available for comment Tuesday evening.

Beaumont was unsure how many people will be participating, but said the room holds 100, and he predicts it will be full. Harland added that she had been receiving phone calls and e-mails constantly Tuesday from people expressing their concerns and promises to make the trip to Springfield.

“We hope they understand how important Extension is to the people of Illinois,” Harland said. “We want to work together to find a solution to this budget crisis.”

Early estimates predict that 450 jobs will have to be cut within the Extension program. They hope to have some type of budget response plan in place by May 1, Beaumont said.

Job cuts will be made in county offices all around the state, Beaumont said.

“Morale is not too high at this point,” Beaumont added. “No one knows if they will be working here next week or not.”