Dean of students Riley reflects on experience at University

By Erika Strebel

At the end of May, William Riley, dean of students and associate vice chancellor of student affairs, is planning to retire after 22 years of working with the University.

“It’s been a lot of fun,” he said. “I put in long hours and it’s exhausting, but it’s fun, too.”

Riley, 62, has been associate vice chancellor for student affairs and dean of students since 1986. He worked with students, faculty and staff on a number of projects, from creating a federally-supported alcohol education program to working on expansion of campus cultural centers.

“I feel like I’m at the point where I may have gathered the credentials to do a good job,” he said. “But just when I get there, it’s time to retire.”

Outside of his work as an administrator, he is an adjunct associate professor of educational organization and leadership in the College of Education. Riley is also a licensed clinical psychologist.

Riley said he made the decision to retire so that he can spend time with family, particularly his children and grandchildren. He plans to remain active in community groups such as the YMCA and he and his wife hope to travel abroad. They may be traveling to Spain in the fall.

“I couldn’t think of doing any other job,” he said. “I can’t. I enjoy the variety of the job and can’t imagine not working with college students. Their ideas and variety are seductive.”

While the death of Cathy Acevedo, late associate dean of students, earlier this month did affect him, Riley said it had little to do with the timing of his retirement.

“It’s obviously very devastating – Cathy’s office is right next door,” he said. “Her death is a very sad thing, but it hasn’t encouraged me to retire faster or not do it,” he said.

The ten candidates to succeed him will be invited to the campus by Vice Chancellor Renee Romano in May. Riley will be actively participating in the process.

“I have been asked to meet with each and every (candidate),” he said.

Riley said he made the decision to retire in October of 2007. The University started a national search for Riley’s successor in December. A committee of students, faculty and staff reviewed 80 applications and reduced the pool of applicants to 10, who were interviewed over the telephone. The committee made their recommendations to Romano.

Technically, Riley’s retirement takes effect June 30. However, Riley said he will be taking advantage of his unused vacation days, so he will be gone for most of the end of May and the month of June.

Ruth McCauley, associate dean of students, has worked with Riley for 14 years.

“Personally, I’m going to miss him a heck of a lot,” she said. “He’s a very smart, very funny, very caring individual. It’s been a real delight to work with him.”

Before students and faculty leave campus for the summer, the University will be celebrating Riley’s contributions on April 25 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the South Lounge of the Illini Union.

“He’s touched students’ lives in ways they don’t even know,” McCauley said. “He’s been their champion and they don’t even know.”