College Scholarships from Jakobsson available to local high school students

By Pamela Nisivaco

State Rep. Naomi Jakobsson (D-Urbana) is offering six $500 Naomi Jakobsson Scholarships for graduating seniors in her district. The six scholarships will go to one senior from each of the six high schools in her district, according to a press release from Jakobsson’s office.

“With rising tuition costs at universities all over the country, I hope to make the process of paying for college a little easier for six families of outstanding students in the 103rd District,” Jakobsson said in the press release.

The Jakobsson Scholarships will be awarded based on students’ grade point averages and commitment to community service. To apply for the scholarships applicants need to submit their high school grade point averages and an essay describing their personal dedication to community service. The Jakobsson Scholarship is being funded by Jakobsson’s personal cash and not from state funds.

Applications are available in the main office of all six high schools in the 103rd district, as well as at Jakobsson’s constituent service office, 206 N Randolph, Suite 120. All applications are due by May 2. Seniors from Urbana High School, Champaign Central High School, Champaign Centennial High School, University Laboratory High School, The High School of St. Thomas More and Judah Christian School are eligible to apply.