Board approves budget increase, discusses faculty funding

By Sarah Small

CHICAGO – University of Illinois Board of Trustees approved a preliminary operating budget with a 5.9 percent increase Thursday thanks to a decision to increase tuition for incoming freshman made at their last meeting.

Debate was sparked among the members regarding the issue of salary increases for the faculty during the discussion of the budget proposal. The preliminary budget allows for a 1.5 percent increase in salaries for University faculty, said Walter Knorr, Comptroller of the Board of Trustees.

Several board members voiced an interest in providing a greater percentage increase. Frances Carroll said faculty funding should increase by “at least three percent.”

University President B. Joseph White said that the academic quality of the University was the board’s principal concern, and that the body would reconvene on the issue of faculty funding during their July meeting.

Discussion surrounding the budget for the next fiscal year began in June 2007. The preliminary budget includes an eight to nine percent increase in state-provided funding, University spokesman Tom Hardy said Wednesday. Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s recommended budget for 2009 did not include an increase in funding for higher education from fiscal year 2008.

Both state chambers are still drafting their budget proposals.

Chancellor Richard Herman spoke on two specific items in the agenda that affect the University.

The establishment of an organization to qualify for and implement a research program funded by the Singapore government’s Agency for Science, Technology and Research was approved by the board Thursday.

Herman said the reason for establishing these programs in Singapore was the University’s existing strong relationship with the country, as well as the country’s prominence in communication technologies worldwide.

The establishment of this program will help to maintain the campus’ reputation as a leader in communication technologies, Herman said.

He added that the students most strongly affected by this program will be those in the College of Engineering, especially electrical engineering majors, as well as students studying Art and Design.

Other items approved by the Board of Trustees for the Urbana campus included:

• The continuation of an intergovernmental agreement with the Urbana school district, providing assistance for dependents in Orchard Downs, the University’s family housing unit. This is an agreement dating back to 1994 which was created to replace lost tax revenue of Orchard Downs.
  • Approval of the judicial transfer of land from Champaign County to the Village of Savoy. Its passage ensures that the University keeps a strong relationship with Savoy, which surrounds a large portion of Willard Airport.
  • Approval of further funding for Memorial Stadium, adding to the salary budget for construction on the project. “It will be done,” said Herman, adding that the project is about eight or nine days behind schedule, but there are three shifts of workers. The stadium is expected to be completed in time for the first football game of the season.

Katie O’Connell contributed to this report