Bar checks less frequent, still occur during summer months

By Joanna Aguirre

Around two bar checks are done a month to effectively enforce drinking laws in the city, according to Champaign Police Department statistics.

Bar checks have been a popular weapon in the constant fight against underage drinking on campus and occur randomly, said Sgt. Scott Friedlein, who is also in charge of alcohol law enforcement.

“It’s nothing more than police officers walking into a randomly picked bar to fish out alcohol-based violations and the obvious people with the ‘deer in the headlights’ look,” he said.

Friedlein said that the summer is a little slower than during the regular school year.

“We pay more attention to the activities that surround the bars instead of worrying about what’s going on inside.” he said. “Bar raids can be less likely, but we still have the luxury of conducting some as we see fit, so there is no reason for people to think they can’t be caught illegally drinking if they are already in the confines of a bar.”

The procedure can last up to 10 minutes and police attire can vary from a uniform to street clothes in order to catch violators off guard, Friedlein said. One night of bar checks can include the search of four to 12 bars, depending on how many arrests are made at each.

People caught drinking underage can receive a $300 citation; and depending on the situation, a bar can be fined up to $500.

Some restaurants that transition to bars after a certain hour on campus tend to work with police in attempting to stop underage drinking in their facilities, said Kurt Schleinz, manager of FireHaus, 708 S. Sixth St. Beginning at 8 p.m., bouncers are stationed at the door to card any customers, and wristbands are given to those who are 21 and older.

“If we find someone in the bar who is drinking and not of age, we take away their drink and escort them out,” Schleinz said. “We typically don’t get a lot of trouble though.”

Schleinz said he believes the “well-kept” appearance of FireHaus makes the bar intimidating for underage people looking to drink.

“This bar is in very good shape so people know we card heavier than most, which is good because it takes pressure off of our bartenders,” he said.

Friedlein said campus bars aren’t the only ones subject to searches. It depends on the nature of the business, so even restaurants such as Buffalo Wild Wings are at risk.

“We constantly pay attention to what bars are busier during what days, the history of violations of certain bars also play a role in how often they are subjected to bar raids,” he said.