Odds ‘N’ Ends: Pennsylvania man walks 25 miles to court for DUI sentencing

By The Associated Press

CARLISLE, Pa. – A man facing sentencing on a drunken-driving conviction couldn’t get a ride to court. So he started walking.

Stephen Shoemaker was scheduled to appear at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday for sentencing.

Shoemaker, 33, of Shippensburg, doesn’t have a car or driver’s license. So he started hoofing it at dawn. He kept walking for about 25 miles in 90-plus-degree heat.

Shoemaker arrived about 3:30 p.m. – after a detour to a hospital, where he was treated for dehydration.

Judge Edward Guido had issued an arrest warrant when Shoemaker failed to appear. But he agreed to defer sentencing. Guido said he hesitated only because “that means he’ll have to walk back to Shippensburg.”

Georgia aquarium announces rare sea dragon pregnancy

ATLANTA – A weedy sea dragon at the Georgia Aquarium has something to celebrate this Father’s Day.

One of the rare creatures is pregnant for only the third time ever at a U.S. aquarium, aquarium officials said. But don’t look for the expectant mom – dads carry the eggs in this family.

The sea dragon has about 70 fertilized eggs attached to his tail. He is expected to give birth in early to mid-July, said Kerry Gladish, a biologist at the aquarium.Sea dragon pregnancies are rare because researchers don’t know what gets them in the mood to mate.

The aquarium recently changed the lighting and thinned out the plants in the sea dragons’ tank to give them room to court each other.