American Airlines cutting service at University’s Willard Airport

By Kathleen Foody

Central Illinoisans will have limited options to fly with American Airlines this fall as the company begins to reduce service system-wide.

Regional carrier American Airlines’ daily flights from the University’s Willard Airport to Chicago’s O’Hare will be cut from eight to six options by November 2. The carrier’s flights to Dallas will not be affected.

The change is part of a larger plan to reduce costs for the company with fuel prices continuing to rise. American Airlines is cutting capacity by 10 to 12 percent across their system, partially by ending their operations in eight total cities, including Oakland, Calif. and Albany, N.Y.

Flights to and from New York’s LaGuardia Airport have also been cut, the company citing excessive in and outbound delays in a news release issued Wednesday.

The specific flights to be eliminated at Willard have not been announced by the airline, but a news release issued by the airport noted the noon departure to Chicago is not listed on American Airline’s Web site beginning in August.

Willard’s manager, Steve Wanzek, said he was confident American Eagle will consider reinstating the flights at a later time in the release. The company has agreed to meet with Willard officials in September to discuss the situation.