Champaign-Urbana celebrates America’s 232nd birthday

Champaign is hosting its 68th annual Freedom Celebration on July 4, kicking off the day with a 5k. An on-campus firework show will conclude the holiday.

By Wesley Fane

With sunny weather and mild temperatures, the Champaign-Urbana area had a perfect venue for this year’s 2008 Champaign County Freedom Celebration Friday.

Urbana saw temperatures peaking around 75 degrees, 10 degrees below the average for Independence Day. The Freedom Celebration began with a Youth Run and 5K Run-Walk near Assembly Hall in Champaign, and continued with the Freedom Celebration Parade from Nevada Street down Lincoln Avenue and west to the Assembly Hall parking lot.

The day ended with the fireworks display, which, due to ongoing construction, was moved from its normal launch site at Memorial Stadium to Dodds Park near Parkland College. This year’s parade, themed “Honoring Our Military Heroes,” featured a wide array of entries, ranging from veteran’s groups to Shriners on mopeds, giant bikes and miniature cars, to die-hard Cubs fans.

According to the Champaign County Freedom Celebration Committee, the events cost $90,000 on average, all of which is funded by donations from the community and area businesses.