Police searching for suspect in attempted sexual assault

By Kathleen Foody

Champaign and University police are searching for a man who attempted to sexually assault a woman in her apartment complex at the 500 block of east Healey Street around 2:15 a.m. Sunday morning.

According to a news release, the 21-year-old woman reported the man came up behind her and grabbed her. The victim was in a hallway at the time of the attack, department spokeswoman Rene Dunn said Monday afternoon. The specific building address is not being released to protect the victim’s safety and identity, Dunn said.

He threatened bodily and sexual harm against the victim, who struggled and yelled for help. No weapon was indicated to police, Dunn said.

Witnesses nearby heard her and the suspect fled the building. Police had not located the suspect as of Monday afternoon.

The suspect is described as a Hispanic male, approximately 25 years old, weighing about 160 pounds and estimated to be 5 foot seven. At the time of the attack, he was wearing a white T-shirt with red graffiti and blue jeans.

Anyone with information about the crime can contact the Champaign Police Department by phone at (217) 351-4545 or anonymously at (217) 373-TIPS or champaigncountycrimestoppers.com.