Cars, cows and corn dogs: Must be a fair

Monster trucks at the Champaign County Fair. Wes Anderson

By Jim Shay

Visitors from around the country flooded the area as the gates to the Champaign County Fairgrounds swung open on Friday.

Everything from livestock to funnel cakes drew the masses to the fair, which runs through July 26, including a series of demolition derbies and Saturday’s 17th Annual Classic and Custom Car and Truck Show.

Lost among the flashy Mustangs and Chevelles was John Fry and his 1931 Chevrolet Coupe.

Fry, a native of Tuscola, Ill., returned to the Champaign County Fair after a one-year hiatus from the show to mix up the competition.

“They have a lot of street rods and muscle cars up here at this show, so I bring it up here just to be a thorn in their side,” Fry said.

“I tell everybody it’s a hot rod as long as you’re not in a hurry.”

Heavy morning rain left many owners scrambling to wipe down their cars after the show’s noon start time.

“This is the only time this car gets dirty, when you take it to a car show,” Fry said. “I don’t even let it get dusty.”

Heather Bell hauled her black 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1 to the show, which she has entered annually for more than 10 years. She has walked away with a Top-25 award each time.

“Usually (car shows) are on Saturdays and I have to work so I try to take the day off if it’s a show I really want to do,” Bell said. “We always come out to this one because we really like it.”

Almost on cue, the rain started again early Sunday afternoon as storm clouds rolled over the fairgrounds.

Over at the livestock stables, David Burklund and his son, Austin, unloaded a pair of steers in preparation for this week’s livestock judging.

It was Burklund’s second-straight year making the trip from his home in Paxton, Ill.

A series of different livestock shows are scheduled as the fair continues, including the open and junior shows which Burklund plans on entering.

“You have a set class for weight and breed,” Burklund said. “Then they line you up and check for structural finish and corrections to the bodies and all the perfect stuff for the perfect animal.”

Burklund also frequents the livestock shows at the Ford and Iroquois County Fairs, but said it was “fun coming back” to Champaign.

On the walk from the parking lot to the alleyway of vendors selling, among other things, corn dogs and “cheese on a stick,” many visitors caught a glimpse of a lumberjack demonstration sponsored by Awesome Machines.

Armed with axes and chain saws, the lumberjacks competed in the underhand chop and standing block chop, the former of which requires splitting a cylindrical piece of wood with an ax – while standing on top of it.

Just getting to the Champaign County Fair was difficult for lumberjack Chris Cicora, a native of Springwater, N.Y.

“Ten-and-a-half-hours drive time just to chop some wood,” Cicora said.

Two hot, muggy and wet days into his first visit to the Champaign County Fair, Cicora echoed the sentiments of many who hit the fair in full force on opening weekend.

“It’s great. Pretty fun. Pretty warm out here.”