Odds ‘n’ ends: sagging pants outlawed in Chicago suburb

By The Associated Press

LYNWOOD, Ill. – Be careful if you have saggy pants in the south Chicago suburb of Lynwood.

Village leaders have passed an ordinance that would levy $25 fines against anyone showing three inches or more of their underwear in public.

Eugene Williams is the mayor of Lynwood. He says young men walk around town half-dressed, keeping major retailers and economic development away. He calls the new law a hot topic.

Young adults in the village, like 21-year-old Joe Klomes, say the new law infringes on their personal style. He says leaders should instead spend money on making the area look nicer.

Arrest made in stolen N.J. horse statue

CHERRY HILL, N.J. – Police say a bronze horse statue stolen from a now-defunct New Jersey racetrack has been broken up and sold to a salvage yard for a fraction of its value.

At the going rate, the bronze from the 1-ton statue sells for about $4,000. As a piece of art, it was worth about $500,000.

The statue was cut off its base outside the old Garden State Park horse racetrack. Part of it was found nearby, the rest at a Camden salvage yard.

Police say a tip led to Saturday’s arrest of 33-year-old Ian MacDonald. He is charged with theft and conspiracy. Police are looking for three other suspects.

MacDonald is being held in lieu of $55,000 bail. Messages left with the police spokesman and at MacDonald’s home weren’t immediately returned.