University police arrest Champaign man in campus sexual assault

By Kathleen Foody

A 27-year-old man has been arrested in Florida on a Champaign County warrant charging him with what police had previously called a “very violent attack” of a female University students on campus.

According to a news release from the University Police Department, Justin C. Young, listed at the 700 block of south Kenwood Avenue in Champaign, was arrested at about 11:30 p.m. Tuesday for the attack on the 19-year-old woman July 13 during Greek Reunion weekend. The woman had been to a Campustown bar and a fraternity party that night and accepted a ride from a man driving a grayish green full-size conversion van with gray interior seating and drapes in the cabin windows.

The man drove the victim to a parking lot near the University’s Arboretum in Urbana, south of the intersection of Lincoln and Florida avenues.

The suspect undid his seat belt and battered the victim. Evidence at the scene suggested she was removed from the van and sexually assaulted in the grass east of the lot, according to a police report. The victim told police she fought back against her attacker, but she could not remember anything else.

Police could not comment on the extent of her injuries shortly after the attack.

The victim was discovered by passerby around 4 a.m. near the area of the parking lot on Hazelwood Drive in Urbana.

Police released a suspect sketch on July 18 and received a tip on July 24 concerning Young, a Kenwood Avenue resident who looked similar to the suspect according to the tip. The tip also indicated Young drove a van similar to the victim’s description.

University police officers collected personal items from the “abandoned” residence, according to the release, and preliminary lab results released Monday matched DNA evidence recovered from the crime scene.

Young was charged with one count of aggravated criminal sexual assault and is being held in the Palm Beach County Jail in Florida, pending extradition to Illinois. His bond was set at $1 million by Champaign County Judge Tom Difanis.

No information on when Young could be transported to Illinois was released.