Court rules Provena not exempt from taxes

By Andrew Maloney

The dispute involving Provena Covenant Medical Center has a ways to go before being resolved.

In a legal saga that’s been played out before an administrative law judge, a circuit court and now, the 4th District Illinois Appellate Court, the Urbana hospital has again found itself answering questions about its validity as a charitable community health center, and, thus, eligible for exemption from state property taxes.

On Aug. 28, the 4th District Court ruled that Provena, a Catholic institution, did not meet the requirements for tax exemption status.

This decision overturned a previous ruling made by the Judicial Circuit Court of Sangamon County in July 2007.

“Over the last 80 or 90 years, the religious institution has been part of the fabric of society. Now, the government wants to restrict the role of religion to just worship,” said Rev. William Grogan, system director of ethics for Provena, during a teleconference 1 p.m. Tuesday. “I’m a lawyer. If I was teaching and I read this decision, I’d give it a D+.”

Grogan was just one of the Provena officials who addressed the media. In addition, Chairman of the Board of Directors Cody Sokolski expressed his discontent with the August ruling, saying he believed the decision should not be tolerated.