From wedding gowns to fat suits

By Jill Disis

Students looking for an opportunity to find that perfect Halloween costume may be in luck this Saturday.

Starting at 9 a.m., the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, 500 S. Goodwin Ave., will hold its biennial costume shop sale, an opportunity for Krannert to sell a variety of costumes from their previous shows.

In the past, the costume sale has teamed up with the props department to offer many different items at low costs. Although there are no props featured this year, it still promises to be an extremely memorable event.

One of the biggest draws includes the more than 20 wedding gowns available.

Customers can expect to pay between $80 and $100 for items originally retailing for between $600 and $1000, according to the Krannert Center Web site.

“The purpose is to purge our stock to make room for new pieces for upcoming seasons,” Krannert spokesperson Bridget Lee-Calfas said. “I think other costumers are excited to have the opportunity to get unique pieces at affordable prices, and students can find one-of-a-kind costumes.”

Curious students can expect just about anything to pop up in the various bins and on the racks at Krannert.

“For example, there is a dragon tail and a full-body fat suit,” Lee-Calfas said.

Amy Leahy, a freshman in LAS, only heard about the sale a few days ago.

“I saw a poster,” Leahy said. “I thought about it briefly, but I don’t have space for costumes. But it would be a good idea for Halloween.” It seems that most interested students are looking forward to distinguishing themselves from their peers and the plain, run-of-the-mill costumes that make an appearance at Halloween every year.

“It’s cool to support the place,” said Ben Sands, senior in LAS. “I go to a lot of theme parties and this is a cool way to get costumes without spending a lot of money.”

Tickets will be $3 from 9 a.m. until noon, and tickets are not required after 1 p.m.

But only the early birds are apt to find the best worms.

“I encourage people to get here early in the day if they want to have their chance at the full spectrum of what we have to offer,” Lee-Calfas said.