Hurricane relief effort continues for UI law students

By Rosie Powers

As hurricane season returns in many areas throughout the southern United States, hurricane damage has caused great devastation in communities.

University students, however, have found a way to help.

The Student Hurricane Network, a national organization for hurricane relief established two years ago, has given college students across the country the opportunity to provide physical labor and legal aid to individuals affected by hurricane damage.

University students became involved shortly after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, said Miranda Soucie, graduate student and president of University’s branch of the network. The network has used students’ legal expertise to survey conditions in Federal Emergency Management Agency trailers as well as defend hurricane victims who have been denied benefits and income, she added.

One of the group’s efforts is to attend football games, carrying large orange buckets used to collect donations for the Student Hurricane Network Gulf Coast Relief Fund. These students are from the University’s law school and volunteers from Illini Pride and the Student-Athlete Advisory Board.

Virginia Vermillion, assistant dean for academic administration and dean of students at the University’s law school, has been a large supporter of the network.

“Participating in this sort of organization takes so much personal sacrifice,” Vermillion said. “Helping these hurricane victims has no immediate benefit to these students, yet they give them as much aid as possible. They are completely selfless.”

Money raised at football games will fund an annual trip to New Orleans for about 50 students from Jan. 11 to Jan. 17, 2009, Soucie said.

Some students said they wanted to get involved to gain a one-on-one experience with the victims.

“I really wanted to be involved in the network to put forth the effort physically rather than just donating money to a cause, and this fundraising is a great way to enable students to go on the trip,” said Brian Larson, graduate student.

Members encourage student involvement, whether it be a simple donation or participating in the trip to New Orleans.

Jason Schultz, graduate student, said he joined the network last year after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina and wanted to help preserve New Orlean’s rich culture and community.

“My experience last winter was incredibly powerful,” Schultz said. “It was amazing to see people who had lost everything be strong. They had no means of tracking down their families, yet they kept going.”