Illini gear section expanded at Wal-Mart

By Stephen Spector

Wal-Mart customers expecting to find certain garden products in their usual location at the Champaign store might have to look again.

The superstore has converted a portion of its garden center into a game day shop for Illinois football fans and enthusiasts. Shelves that once held garden inventory now display licensed T-shirts, pillows and paper plates. According to the store’s assistant manager Zach Ebeling, approximately four aisles measuring 80 feet currently exhibit Illinois football products.

“Over the summer it’s mostly garden products with just a few Illinois products,” Ebeling said. “But when school starts up and students flood our store, we extend our merchandise.”

The feedback from loyal customers has been positive, but Ebeling recalls some bitter complaints from customers at the Urbana store when the use of the Chief on products was still in debate.

“We had some customers who complained because we sold products with the Chief printed across it,” Ebeling said. “I would say we’ve been doing pretty well though in terms of sales.”

The game day center not only has increased sales but elevated school spirit among Wal-Mart employees as well. Workers are allowed to break free from the traditional uniforms and sport Illinois colors instead.

“A ton of our employees love it because they don’t have to wear their custom uniforms on game days,” Ebeling said.

Ebeling notes that although staff is forbidden from following the game’s score on store televisions, they take strategic breaks from work to hear quick updates on the radio in the lounge room.

Wal-Mart’s prices, more than any other factor, has attracted customers from around the state to buy its Illinois football products rather than at on-campus stores.

While shopping at Wal-Mart, out-of-towner Kris Malandruccolo notes the competitive prices.

“Everything is marked at a good price,” Malandruccolo said. “When comparing this place to elsewhere, it really can’t be beat.”

Wal-Mart normally sells its off-season products near the domestics department, but football season means more customer traffic. The garden center, located near the front of the store, will increase the chances customers see it upon entry, Ebeling said.

Not every consumer walks into Wal-Mart expecting to find a variety of Illinois football products. Customer Nicky Oats, who shops at Wal-Mart in part for her son’s school supplies, did not initially know Wal-Mart offered an assortment of gear.

“The only thing I would tell Wal-Mart is to support your own state,” Oats said. “The Chicago stores sell Notre Dame clothing, but Illinois stuff is nowhere to be found. This Champaign store really went crazy, though. I’m sure they’re selling real well over here.”