Students choose Living and Learning Communities

By Marie Wilson

This year’s freshman class is the largest ever at the University, and some of its students chose to find a smaller group among the masses by signing up for one of University Housing’s seven Living and Learning Communities, or LLCs.

These communities are located in residence halls across campus and each focuses on a different goal or unifying interest.

Although many students choose these communities out of genuine interest, some also make their choice based on location and housing availability.

“I decided on living here because it was the last dorm in the Six-Pack that had open spots when I accepted my offer,” said Elliott Rill, freshman in Engineering, who lives in the Weston Exploration community in Weston Hall.

Rill said he decided to attend the University on June 2. He wanted to live in the Six-Pack, so he wrote an essay and applied to Weston Exploration to ensure his spot.

The community he ended up in is one designed for students who want to look into different major and career options, says Claire Brady, program coordinator for Weston Exploration and Garner LEADS, or Leadership Education through Academic Development and Service.

Everyone who lives in Weston Hall is part of the Exploration program and 60 percent of this year’s students are in the LAS Division of General Studies, Brady said.

Brandon Polk, freshman in FAA, is another Weston resident who did not select the community because of its career exploration opportunities.

“My first choice was actually FAR and I got moved here,” Polk said. “But I actually enjoy it here I think a lot more than I would have somewhere else.”

Polk said the resident advisors on his floor are involved in planning events and helping residents connect with one another.

“Coming to a Living and Learning Community, I really believed that they were going to just provide different activities and just give me different resources to maybe tap into whenever I needed it and just make that readily available,” Polk said. “I think that’s what they’ve done.”

Ivan Mistele, freshman in LAS, also said he is happy with how his housing situation ended up – even though being part of an LLC was not his first choice.

Mistele said he had the option of moving into temporary housing or the Health Professions community in Oglesby Hall of FAR. Since his major is biology, he chose to live in Health Professions.

This is Health Professions’ second year as a community, and 20 of its 110 original students came back again this year, says Kari Schueller, program coordinator for Health Professions and Women in Math, Science and Engineering, another LLC in FAR.

Even if some students do not choose their residence based on the goals of the LLCs, Brady says the communities will remain strong through the participation of those students who are interested.

“Even if that is the case, I’m not worried about that,” Brady said. “I know once they get here, they’re going to have a positive experience. Motives may be one thing and experience may be another.”