Students gather to watch critical debate

By Amanda Liberatore

Students across campus came together Thursday night to watch the first vice presidential debate between candidates Joseph Biden and Sarah Palin.

Some of the night’s “watch parties” were more than just a viewing – they became a public forum for discussion and a venue for voter registration.

“We are so excited about this upcoming election and we are looking forward to watching the debate,” said Eric Preston, legislative chair for College Democrats, before the debate. “We will most likely discuss upcoming volunteer opportunities to support campaigns and will talk about issues confronted in the debate, in general.”

College Republicans held a pre-debate discussion Thursday night after which the group headed to the Illini Union for a showing of the debate sponsored by I-Vote, said group president Bobby McNeily.

I-Vote, a student-run organization sponsored by Volunteer Illini Projects, encourages University students to create change on campus and in the community. The group registers students to vote, publishes voting guides for elections and generally educates students on current political issues affecting the nation.

The debate was shown on a big-screen television to a nearly filled Room B. Before the debate began, food and drinks were brought in for students, in addition to a voting registration booth. Many students received handouts about voting and registering to vote, provided by the members of I-Vote and Volunteer Illini Projects.

Students for Barack Obama hosted a vice presidential debate “watch party” in the Natural History Building, said Crystal Olsen, spokesperson for the group. The event was followed by a meeting discussing campaigning and fundraising.

I-Vote Director Ross Good said he was pleased with Thursday night’s turnout.

“I’m extremely impressed with the large group of students that came out, and I’m glad that University students are so interested in the upcoming election,” said Good. “As a group, that is I-Vote’s goal – to get students out there and involved.”

During the debate, students discussed the issues that the candidates were bringing up and debating, generating an active response from the group.

“Students need to get involved and educated about the issues, and by having events like this, we can bring more voters out to the polls on election day,” said Good.