Polygraphs proposed for congressional debate

JASPER, Ind. – Two challengers for an Indiana congressional seat have agreed to be hooked up to lie detectors during a debate, but an official with the incumbent’s party dismisses the idea as “bizarre.”

Ninth District Republican Party Chairman Larry Shickles on Wednesday proposed the political polygraphs for Democratic Rep. Baron Hill, GOP challenger Mike Sodrel and Libertarian candidate Eric Schansberg. The three are scheduled to debate Oct. 21, but an official with a debate co-sponsor said lie detectors won’t be included.

“Our planning committee worked up the format and rules, and we are not inviting negotiations from the candidates,” Alan Johnson, dean of Vincennes University’s Jasper Campus, told The Herald of Jasper.

Shickles, in a letter sent Tuesday to 9th District Democratic Chairman Mike Jones, suggested that the candidates be hooked up to lie detecting machines at the Oct. 21 event or a separate debate.

“While this format may be unusual, I feel strongly that voters need to be able to make a clear decision without all the usual spin,” Shickles wrote.

Sodrel’s campaign said he would agree to the proposal, as did Schansberg’s. Hill declined to comment.

“Polygraphs have their use in law enforcement, but I don’t see them fitting in a political debate,” Jones said. “There are plenty of avenues for finding out each candidate’s true position.”

Student reading ‘Crucible’ threaten to burn teacher

FERNDALE, Mich. – Darin Najor, 20, doused his teacher with a nonflammable liquid and threatened to burn her as a witch, police said, after being assigned “The Crucible” in an adult education English class.

“He was trying to kill the witch by pouring holy water over her head,” Detective Ken Denmark said.

He was arrested Monday and scheduled for arraignment this month on misdemeanor charges of assault and battery.

From Associated Press reports