Knox College hosts US Senate candidates

By Sarah Small

GALESBURG, Ill. – Knox College hosted the Lincoln-Douglas debate 150 years ago. Thursday night, United States Senate candidates Steve Sauerberg and incumbent Democrat Dick Durbin made their arguments for the seat.

The majority of the debate was related to the economy, and both candidates attempted to relate the issues to the Knox College students in attendance.

The debate began with discussion of the crisis on Wall Street and the bailout plan proposed by Congress.

“We were challenged in Washington three weeks ago to do something or do nothing. We are facing a meltdown of the American economy, possible the global economy,” Durbin said.

He added that it was important for Congress to move quickly and propose something to settle the economy.

Sauerberg said the bill would not solve the economic problems.

“You have to give people the opportunity to reinvest in their government,” Sauerberg said. “What I’m saying is we missed opportunities to do other important things.”

Sauerberg also supported his plan to eliminate Medicare and instead allow citizens to buy individual health care from private venues. He said this plan will give all citizens health care, regardless of preexisting conditions or health care benefits through employers.

Durbin said Sauerberg’s proposal is “irrational” and criticized his plan to privatize health care.

“Dr. Sauerberg wants to put individuals out in the market alone,” Durbin said. “When it comes to health care we’re strongest in pools.”

Both candidates discussed the presidential candidates and then need for change in Washington, although Sauerberg said Republican presidential candidate John McCain was not the change necessary.

“John McCain’s situation is so unique,” Sauerberg said. “He is not Mr. Popularity, he is not Mr. Go-Along. We do need change I just don’t think John McCain is the change needed.”

Durbin also said change was necessary, but not the change of the addition of Sauerberg to Congress.

“Dr. Sauerberg would be a change in Washington,” Durbin said. “At least a change in face, but he would bring the same politics. It’s sad for students who are here because this is a debt that you will pay for.”

Sauerberg said he would make the better choice because he thinks it is time to change Washington.

“Washington is broken, and we do definitely need some change,” Sauerberg said. “Senator Durbin has had his chance to fix things. We need new people.”

He said he understands the issues of people in downstate Illinois, and specifically mentioned the importance of the Amtrak system, as well as the importance of agriculture for such communities.

“I’m the only downstate official from Illinois,” Durbin said.