Local blogger featured in New York Times

By Hannah Hess

A Champaign resident, who blogs under the profile “Gnightgirl,” had the content of a recent blog post featured in the New York Times this Wednesday. Lori Stewart, who has maintained her blog for three years said the New York Times contact was “basically the result of blogging word-of-mouth.”

The article, titled, “In Sour Economy, Some Scale Back on Medications,” was a front-page story by health writer Stephanie Saul about the effect of the financial downturn on prescription drug purchases.

Stewart, who is quoted in the final paragraphs of the piece, finds herself facing the dilemma of affording an Alzheimer’s medication for her mother. Stewart blogged about the predicament earlier in October. A friend who works in the health business in Washington, D.C. put her on the radar of the New York Times reporter.

“The health writer sent me an email asking if I was interested,”

she said.

After a brief phone interview Stewart said she was still unsure of whether she had “made the cut” and was excited to find out shortly before the article ran that her comments would be included.

“Since it was published the hits have doubled to my blog,” she said. In addition to online comments Stewart has received phone calls from people offering to refill her mother’s medication and attorneys offering to help her navigate the state’s prescription drug plan.

“It’s kind of comforting,” the 45-year-old writer said. “You feel like you’re all alone then there is this outpouring of support.”

Stewart started her blog as a tool to help develop a non-profit organization called, “Toys for Troops.” One of her sons is a U.S. soldier and she said the Web has been an invaluable tool for helping grow the network.

“I’ve had a good response,” she said. “Hopefully I can take advantage of the interest and use it to get these guys [soldiers] some Christmas gifts.”