Students for Chief Illiniwek plans “The Next Dance”

By Marie Wilson

Students for Chief Illiniwek announced at a press conference Thursday that the group has plans for “The Next Dance.”

The group has scheduled an event called “Students for Chief Illiniwek Presents: The Next Dance,” for Saturday, Nov. 15 following the football game against Ohio State University.

“We want to do this event on a very exciting day for Illini fans and we want it to be a complement to that day’s game,” said Roberto Martell Jr., president of Students for Chief Illiniwek and junior in LAS.

Martell said the event will include a historical presentation about the tradition of the Chief, a guest speaker whom the group will announce later, and a performance by Logan Ponce, the 37th Chief Illiniwek portrayer and senior in Engineering.

The purpose of this event is to further the group’s goal of educating the campus community about the Chief Illiniwek tradition, Martell said.

Tickets to “The Next Dance” are free to University students with an i-Card. Members of the public can purchase general admission tickets for $5 beginning Friday at the Assembly Hall Box Office, Ticket Central at the Illini Union, on the phone at (217)244-4170 or through Ticketmaster.