UC Senate votes against Global Campus proposal

By Melissa Silverberg

The Urbana Champaign Senate’s meeting Monday focused on issues surrounding Global Campus, the ethics policy and the economic situation facing the University.

The most controversial issue discussed during the senate meeting was that at the Nov. 13 Board of Trustee’s meeting, University President B. Joseph White plans to recommend to the board to authorize that Global Campus seek its own accreditation and allow it to award baccalaureate and masters degrees.

The ultimate Global Campus goal that White described would allow students of high educational quality to attend a community college for two years and then complete their baccalaureate program through Global Campus and receive a University of Illinois degree.

“Our mission is to maximize quality, access and affordability,” White said. “Access to a college education is absolutely crucial for people to have the futures they want.”

Faculty members from various departments voiced their strong concerns with Global Campus and making it a “fourth campus,” including the confusion over whether the program is a campus or is not a campus.

Eve Harwood, associate professor of Music Education, brought up the concern of maintaining the level of selectivity and quality in admissions that the rest of the University is known for.

Before taking this idea to the board, White asked the senates of each campus to discuss and vote on the proposal for input on the issue. The Springfield campus and Urbana campus defeated the proposal, while the Chicago senate drafted a proposal in favor of accreditation.

This defeat of the proposal is the final statement from the UC Senate, yet the trustees will have the final vote on the issue, said Nicholas Burbules, chair of the senate’s executive committee.

“The president is obliged to seek advice of the senates and this is the advice the senate gave him,” he said.

Many faculty members expressed a want for more time to consider the issue and find solutions to their many questions, but White will not hold the proposal for a later meeting.

“There is urgency about this because the clock is ticking, the money is running, the programs have to be developed,” White said. “The board expects a recommendation.”

Some faculty expressed strong opposition to Global Campus.

“The questions raised two years ago, are the same questions being raised now,” said Mark Roszkowski, president of Business Administration. “Everything is still unknown, yet we are being asked to give the hunting license for another three years and spending the money to see if we can make it work.”

He went on to say that he feels that allowing Global Campus to award degrees through an online program cheapens the value of his degree and that he knows many other feel the same way.

Another concern facing the senate is the financial crisis and how it will affect the University. These economic concerns were addressed in e-mails from both White and Chancellor Richard Herman.

“We are in for a difficult 12 to 18 months, how difficult is completely uncertain,” White said. “I believe deeply in preparing for the worst and hoping for the best and that’s what we are doing right now.”

The question of access was greatly discussed in terms of affordability of a quality college education.

At the next senate meeting, there will be a formal presentation about the budget situation and time for discussion and feedback from the full senate.

Along with concerns for the University budget, Roszkowski brought up the unsubstantial progress on Lincoln Hall’s projected $55 million in renovations. Roszkowski mentioned other expensive renovations around campus including the Activities and Recreation Center and the newly redone Memorial Stadium, yet that Lincoln Hall sits unfinished.

“Lincoln Hall is a disgrace to the state of Illinois, to higher education, and to the University,” White said. “There is not a single thing on their campus that bothers me more and not a single thing higher on our priority list.”

White added that if nothing is done about Lincoln Hall soon, the building may get past the point of no return, but that the University is optimistically waiting for the state funding to come through.

White also addressed the ethics policy, which has been the cause of some controversy among University employees concerning what political activities are or are not allowed while at work.

The Senate focused more specifically on the ethical considerations of wearing a political button while on duty, and that it should be allowed. White wore a plain blue button on his lapel and invited anyone who wanted to report him to do so.

“I think it is the responsibility of the president to stand up for free speech,” White added.

Since discussion about Global Campus took up most of the two hour meeting, other agenda issues have been moved to later meetings.