Illinois basketball players take a shot at scouting opposition

By Jeff LaBelle

Illinois guards Chester Frazier, Calvin Brock and Trent Meacham were more than scholarship athletes this week: They were scouts on the side.

In preparation for the basketball team’s second exhibition game of the season against Lewis University Sunday, head coach Bruce Weber doled out the scouting responsibilities to his seniors.

Brock was assigned to personnel, Frazier to offense and Meacham to Lewis’ defensive schemes. Frazier, who has ambitions of becoming a college coach one day, used the assignment as a learning experience.

“It was all right, it was a good chance to study, look over the other team before coach told us what to do,” Frazier said. “My job was basically to go over the Lewis offense and present it in a way so the team can be ready for them when they come out. I just watched a DVD and saw what sets they run.”

Lewis, coached by former Illinois Wesleyan head coach Scott Trost, dropped its first exhibition against Bradley 74-61 last weekend. Weber, noting in particular the team’s top seniors – guard Brandon Dagans (Harvey, Ill.) and forward Jason Genova (Chicago, Ill.) – said the home-state opponent could put up a fight. Lewis is located roughly 40 miles southwest of Chicago.

“They have some talent,” Weber said. “Being an in-state team, this is their chance. This is a huge game for them. So our kids hopefully come with the same level of intensity and readiness that we had at the beginning of the Florida Southern game.

“Lewis won 20 games last year. Scott has done a nice job there.”

Illinois started sloppy in the opening minutes of its first exhibition against Florida Southern last weekend but recovered quickly to open a healthy 54-28 lead by halftime. Illinois had only four turnovers to Florida’s 14 in the opening period, but the second half was a different story. Illinois was outscored 33-28 and finished the game with 14 turnovers.

The high scorer in the contest, Meacham, said his team can’t afford such polar halves.

“That’s something coach has talked about the first few weeks of practice a lot,” Meacham said. “It’s always hard when you’re up 20, 25 points, to keep up that intensity. But that’s what the great teams have. When they’re up 20, they’ll go up 30. We need that killer instinct, that mentality.”

Freshman Stan Simpson is using the exhibitions as tryouts for playing time as well as a spot on the active roster.

Simpson, who played seven minutes Sunday and scored four points on free throws, is a possible candidate for a redshirt year, which would make him ineligible this season but would afford him eligibility during his fifth season. Weber hasn’t made a final decision but spoke to Simpson’s mom about the possibility.

“He’s got to (perform well) on a day-to-day basis so we feel good about him on both the court and in the classroom,” Weber said. “We’ll have to evaluate it.”

Simpson said he thinks he’s ready now.

“I see myself playing (this year),” he said. “I’m a gamer.”

Meacham hopes Illinois can take advantage of the exhibitions as a way to figure out its still-to-emerge identity.

“We got a new team this year,” he said. “We’re developing our identity as a team, everyone getting comfortable in their roles, and the more we can get out there the better. We’re excited for it.”