Fire breaks out in Champaign apartment building

By Colleen Vest

At 12:21 p.m., a fire was reported at an 11 unit apartment building at 605 W. University Ave., in Champaign, a Champaign fire department press release stated.

The fire department stated the cause was improper housekeeping. Clothes were being stored too close to a heating unit in one of the bedrooms.

The fire department estimated damages at about $55,000, the press release continued.

The building is owned by Faron Properties, and no one from the company was available for comment this afternoon.