Odds and Ends: For bid on eBay: 1 Senate seat, slightly worn

By Marie Wilson

CHICAGO – For sale: One Senate seat. Goes to the highest BLEEP-ing bidder.

Seller’s positive feedback rating since Tuesday: just about zero.

Outraged by the arrest of Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, more than a dozen people have put the state’s vacant Senate seat up for bid on eBay.

The offers popped up on the Internet auction site after Blagojevich was accused Tuesday of trying to benefit financially from his power to appoint a Senate replacement to President-elect Barack Obama.

Daniel Finnegan, a student at the University of Georgia, said he started an auction because he’s “extremely upset about what happened” and wants to voice his opinion.

Finnegan says he’s glad others posted similar auctions so the accusations against Blagojevich don’t go unnoticed.

University of Illinois student Matt Platino says he posted his entry to be funny but also because he’s upset with Blagojevich.

At least one seller carefully noted the ad was “not an offer for actual US Senate seat. … For entertainment purposes only.”

Another wound up with a similar disclaimer, but not before unloading on the governor: “OPEN YOUR CHECKBOOKS, OR PUT THE THUMBSCREWS ON SOMEONE TO GIVE A HIGH PAYING EXECUTIVE JOB TO AN ASSININE, GREEDY VINDICTIVE POL OR HIS WIFE.”

And folks are bidding, some jokingly. One posting (“Used Illinois Senate seat, all wood and leather, willing to deal on this one! Please be advised I will be away from my office for a while …”), had 78 bids and was going for $99,999,999.00 Wednesday morning.

Man states online story wrong; he’s circumcised

NEW YORK – A New York City man is suing a Jewish research group for libel, claiming it posted a story online with his photo that erroneously said he was not circumcised.

John Singer says he was circumcised as an infant. His lawsuit seeks unspecified damages from the Central Europe Center for Research & Documentation and its Centropa.org Web site, which have main offices in Atlanta and in Vienna, Austria.

Singer, 49, says his mother was quoted in an interview for a Centropa article saying her sons weren’t circumcised, which would violate Jewish law.

He says he warned Centropa director Edward Serotta the statement was wrong before the article was published in October. He says Centropa humiliated him.

Serotta says he’ll comment when he has a New York attorney.