Non-religious students celebrate alternative holidays

By Jennifer Wheeler

For some, this time of the year marks the singing of Christmas carols, playing of the game Dreidel or ornamenting homes with traditional African items. Yet, often overlooked during this season is the group of nonreligious individuals whose festivities are unique to the rest of the religious population.For some, this time of the year marks the singing of Christmas carols, playing of the game Dreidel or ornamenting homes with traditional African items. Yet, often overlooked during this season is the group of non-religious individuals whose festivities are unique to the rest of the religious population.

Celebration

Instead of celebrating religious traditions, nonreligious individuals said they celebrate the winter solstice or the “commercialized Christmas.”

“We celebrate the commercial aspect, like the Christmas tree, getting presents and just having time to share with your family and review the season,” said Stuart Bechman, president of Atheist Alliance International.

Holiday festivities, typically associated with Christian beliefs, are often celebrated by nonreligious individuals, due to their misinterpreted Christian interpretations, said Chris Calvey, founder of the student organization Atheists, Agnostics and Freethinkers and senior in LAS.

Calvey said many nonreligiously affiliated individuals will put up a Christmas tree. The evergreen doesn’t necessarily represent Christianity, but rather a Pagan symbol of rebirth. The symbol came about during winter solstice when the tree remains alive while other wildlife is dying.

War on Christmas?

A common stereotype surrounding the nonreligious community is that they are offended by others publicly worshipping their religion. However, many argue that this is not their intent.

“We aren’t trying to take down Christmas and stop that from happening,” said Ashley Carter, president of the student organization Atheists, Agnostics and Freethinkers and senior in LAS. “We aren’t necessarily trying to take religion out of the main scene but just out of government buildings, or at least allow other groups to put their viewpoint out there.”

Calvey said having placing religiously affiliated symbols in government buildings during the holidays is problematic since the definition of what constitutes a religion is so obscure. He said equal representation of all religions in these buildings would be complicated.

The nonreligiously affiliated community believe that although they are working toward the development of a stronger separation between church and state, Calvey said there are other more important issues to fight for.

“People who would be willing to kill in the name of religion is a much bigger deal than a nativity scene,” Calvey said.

Neutrality at the University

Despite the religious controversy surrounding government buildings, many said they believe that the University is successful in remaining impartial during this time of year.

“I think there are decorations in the Union, but they are trying to be as multicultural and as diverse as possible,” Calvey said. “I think any representation of religion in society is shown through RSOs.”

Calvey said he has not seen any displays that crossed the line from keeping the University religiously unbiased.

This feeling of neutrality in the Champaign-Urbana community is also expressed by Phil Ferguson, founder of Champaign Urbana Freethinkers, who said the area appears to be religiously “kosher.”