Top ways to relieve finals stress

By Jill Disis

McKinley’s Health Center’s Stress Relief Pack includes top ways to relieve stress while studying for finals. Here’s what it suggests:

1. Work out about 30-45 minutes three to five times during finals week. It will help release stress and keep you energized.

2. Take short energy breaks lasting about 15 minutes while studying to stay focused. Spending long, interrupted stretches pouring over a textbook can induce stress.

3. Eat regular, well-proportioned meals, and try not to skip out on important meals of the day, such as lunch or dinner.

4. If you must miss a sit-down meal and opt for vending machine treats, try a healthier alternative like cheese crackers, juice, animal crackers, dried fruit or popcorn.

5. Pick soothing music to listen to while studying or taking a break.

It can help relax the mind and body as you prepare for an exam.

6. Don’t overdo the caffeine. As tempting as it is to reach for that third mocha during your study session, remember that it can ruin your sleep pattern and that a caffeine burst will only last a limited time.

7. Stretch your neck, shoulders and arms every once in a while to avoid becoming tense and cramped.

What students are saying:

Alex Pagsanjan, senior in AHS: “You should plan your time out and have a list of priorities. Go out, go to the gym two or three times to blow off steam. Be well organized. Being well rested also plays a big factor.”

On Lee, junior in AHS: “I don’t do anything special. Mainly I just study, maybe eat more junk food than normal.”

Anthony Keel, junior in LAS: “Finals are actually one of my favorite weeks. You don’t have classes. I just focus on studying and take a whole day before the test to study.”