Where you can hit the textbooks

Erica Magda

Erica Magda

By Sarah Small

Grainger, 1301 W. Springfield Ave., Urbana

“I go here because there’s not many other places to go, and it’s close to coffee,” said Tamlin Matthew, graduate student.

Advantages: “We’re graduate students and it’s the closest place to our offices,” said Analisa Russo, graduate student.

Disadvantages: “It gets really crowed around this time of year,” Russo said.

Undergrad Library, 1402 W. Gregory Drive, Urbana

“It’s a little less intense atmosphere than Grainger, which is really quiet,” said Anna Witowska, junior in LAS. “I need a little bit of noise when I study.”

Advantages: “It has wireless Internet and lots of computers,” Witowska said. “If you really need to focus you can go to the lower level which is really quiet.”

Disadvantages: “A lot of people come here to socialize and not study,” she said.

“It’s between classes, and once I leave my apartment in the morning I rarely come back until after class,” said Zachary Reyna, junior in LAS.

Advantages: ” (I) like the coffee (at Espresso Royale), and it’s quiet but you can actually talk,” Reyna said.

Disadvantages: “(It’s) hard to get a computer,” he said. “I’m not here long enough for my computer to die but there are not a lot of outlets.

“I come here so I’m not distracted by things in my apartment, and it’s close to my classes,” said Mary Grain, senior in Business.

Advantages: “A lot of people in my classes come here, so I can meet up and study,” she said. “There’s an Espresso Royal, and its open 24 hours.”

Disadvantages: “Seeing people you know is distracting, and during finals it’s sometimes hard to find a plug (for your computer),” she said.

ACES Library, 1101 S. Goodwin Ave., Urbana

“It’s quiet and not as busy, so don’t tell anyone about it!” said Mary Ellen Brown, junior in LAS.

Advantages: “Nicer than other libraries,” she said.

Disadvantages: “Not many resources for LAS students,” she said.

“I have a class right next door, but the only thing is it closes at 11 p.m., so you can’t study late,” said Jessica Corrie, senior in LAS.

Advantages: “A lot quieter than other libraries, and close to the Quad,” she said.

Disadvantages: “It can sometimes get really crowded,” she said.

Dorm Lounge (Busey-Evans), 1111-1115 W. Nevada St., Urbana

“Everyone here comes to study, so there are always people to ask questions about homework, and you don’t have to go outside,” said Caitlin Norton-Rinck, freshman in LAS.

Busey-Evans offers many facilities that can be utilized during finals week. Some areas include computer centers, libraries and study areas, classrooms and meeting spaces.

Advantages: “A lot of people are studying there, and you don’t have to be really quiet,” she said.

Disadvantages: “Sometimes it can get a little too loud,” she said. “Students who plan on studying in dorm lounges need to be with and supervised by a resident of the dorm hall in order to get into many of facilities that hold study materials.”

Starbucks, 503 E. Green St., Champaign

“It’s got about the right balance of quiet and noise that I need to study,” said Paul Bolin, medical student.

Advantages: “Close to food, so you can get lunch if you want,” he said.

Disadvantages: “The drinks are expensive,” he said.

“There is no Internet and that way I can’t get distracted, and there’s coffee,” said Sydney Dudek, senior in Business.

Advantages: “Less distractions than other places and I can get more done,” she said.

Disadvantages: “I often see a lot of my friends here,” she said.

Illini Union, 1401 W. Green St., Urbana

“It’s close to classes and you don’t have to walk far,” said Kim Wanous, sophomore in LAS. “It’s a good place to go during the day in between classes.”

Advantages: “It’s not as boring as going to a library, and there’s an Espresso Royal,” she said.

Disadvantages: “There’s lots of activity, and it can be hard to find a good seat,” she said.

Espresso Royale, 1117 W. Oregon St., Urbana

“It’s right next to the music building where I have class,” said Claire Yen, graduate student in Music.

Advantages: “It’s right next to my class buildings and I can get coffee here,” she said.

Disadvantages: “The music can be really loud,” Yen said.

“I really like the coffee and the music’s pretty good,” said Rob Wirth, sophomore in LAS. “I can study anywhere, so the noise doesn’t bother me.”

Advantages: “I can get out of the dorms and get some coffee and study,” he said.

Disadvantages: “Can’t really think of any because I can study anywhere,” he said.