Shah welcomed as new Board chairman

By Sarah Small

Trustee Niranjan Shah was unanimously elected to serve as chairman of the Board of Trustees during Thursday’s meeting on the Chicago campus.

He is the first Asian-American to serve as chairman of the Board, and succeeds trustee Lawrence Eppley who served as chairman for six years, and chose not to seek re-election.

“That is what the American society is all about,” Shah said. “We give everyone a chance.”

Shah acknowledged the economic difficulties currently facing the University and the country, and said under his watch it will be necessary for the board to pay particular attention to budgets and University spending.

University President B. Joseph White welcomed Shah as chairman of the Board.

“I would like to add my personal congratulations,” White said. “I would like to pledge the efforts of the entire administration to achieve the goals you particulate.”

Walter Knorr, chief financial officer and comptroller, echoed Shah’s concerns for the economy’s effect on the University when he presented options available to help reduce expenses.

“We’re still going to have costs we’ll need to pay,” Knorr said. “It’s a grim picture, and we’re going to have to deal with it.”

The Board of Trustees approved an increase in student fees and an increase in housing costs for the next academic year.

Beginning in the Fall 2009 semester, students will pay an addition $71 for each semester, or $142 for the entire academic year. This increase is a 5.5 percent increase from the fees students are currently paying.

Rates for undergraduate were also increased by 5.9 percent, assuming the student is residing in a traditional double room with a 14 meal-per week meal plan. This will be a total increase of $243 each semester.

Shah voiced concern for the increase in housing rates, and asked Chancellor Richard Herman to review options for eliminating a need to increase the rates.

Jaclyn O’Day, student body president, made an appearance during the public comment segment of the meeting discussed several issues facing the Urbana campus, and the entire University of Illinois system. She focused heavily on efforts students are putting forth to secure more state funding.

O’Day, student trustee Paul Schmitt and other university students are working on multiple projects to raise awareness for the University’s need for state funding, and contact legislatures to secure additional funding.

“Students are concerned on our campus,” O’Day said. “With this, we take it upon our self to increase our lobbying efforts.”

In the coming semester, students will be holding a letter writing drive to draft letters intended for members of the General Assembly regarding University funding.

O’Day and Schmitt are also working with students to produce a video highlighting the value of the University as a state asset. It is their intention to send a copy of this video to each member of the Illinois General Assembly.

“(It will be) completely and wholly produced by students, student perspective of what funding cuts means for students,” Schmitt said.