Odds and Ends: Man receives $35,000 for Bush library domain name

By The Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. – Web developer George Huger says he turned $5 into $35,000 when he bought the expired Internet domain name for former President George W. Bush’s presidential library and then sold it back.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reports Tuesday that Huger was searching through a list of expiring domain names two years ago when he noticed the Web address www.GeorgeWBushLibrary.com was about to expire.

He bought the rights for $5, then sat on them for two years.

Huger says he recently sold them for $35,000 to Florida-based Yuma Solutions, which the Bush Library Foundation says is in charge of Web site care. Company owner Mark Mills didn’t return the newspaper’s calls.

Rights to the new president’s address, BarackObamaLibrary.com, are already taken.

Police dog corners man eve of retirement

SPOKANE, Wash. – Var the police dog has added one more brave arrest to his record – his last one.

Spokane police officers say the dog was on his last night of patrol before retirement when he cornered a teenager sought for investigation of murder.

A tip led officers to surround a house Sunday night, and in the ensuing search, Officer Dan Lesser and Var found the 19-year-old suspect hiding in the basement.

Three other teens were being sought in connection with the stabbing death of 22-year-old Shannon Cochran.

It was Var’s last night on duty after eight years in service. The dog retired Monday because of medical problems and his replacement, a German Shepherd from Germany named Cisco, was flown in the same day.