Campus cultural center discusses Chief Illiniwek

By Rosemary Powers

La Casa Cultural Latina co-sponsored an event Thursday afternoon discussing the controversial Chief Illiniwek.

The event, part La Casa’s celebration of the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. holiday week, provided students with an opportunity to express and listen to each others’ views on the retired University mascot.

“This gives students the opportunity to make an intelligent and thoughtful decision about what their view on Chief Illiniwek is. It’s hard to form an opinion with few forums with which to access information,” said Adele Lozano, Director of La Casa Cultural Latina and assistant dean of students.

The event also featured a showing of the documentary film “In Whose Honor?” filmed by Jay Rosenstein, a member of the University’s journalism department.

“A sort of cultural silence develops on campus because the issue is uncomfortable, and people tend to be set in the views that they have grown up with,” said Anna Sierra-Nowell, junior in applied health science. “Discussions like this simply don’t happen enough.”

Students for Chief Illiniwek last held an event in November celebrating the Chief. The issue is still pressing for minority students, said Lozano.

“The Chief still has a presence on campus that students must face every day,” said Lozano. “Martin Luther King Jr. fought for social justice within many racial and socioeconomic groups, and events such as these celebrate his dream.”